Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Birthdays and bilbies


So where the bloody hell have I been???

I have tried a few times to post but blogger seems to time out on me.

So I was a baby born in 1958...and recently had a birthday. I will let you do the math, but I decided I wanted to have a big party. I set this in South Pacific theme as The South Pacific Album was number 1 in 1958, and the movie production got top billing.

What a hoot of a night! I had over 70 guests - from my 84 yo mum in law, my kids, nieces and nephews, to tracking down my bridesmaids and current and past work colleagues and friends.



All turned up in South Pacific tropical dress from coconut bras and grass skirts, to some of the worst shirts I have seen in a while. The food was fabulous and the karaoke woeful.



That is me in the top photo. I went for the Susan Haywood hairdo, and the Nellie Forbush "honey bun " look. The man in the bad shirt, lei with a beer is Mr crochetroo. And that my friends is the first and last photo of me or him you are likely to see here!

Any ways after weeks of preparing and planning, (it was all so exciting) it has taken me a few weeks to catch up on sleep. My ageing metabolism doesn't seem to tolerate late nights and pina coladas as well as it once did.

I did receive a cellar full of champers and some beautiful flowers.


I just love the colourful lillies and the arrangement of native flowers and pods in the middle arrangement.


So the only bit of crochet I can share with you is little lady. This is a bilby that was a custom order for a lady in Western Australia. I did um and ah about doing this as she requested it about 10 days before Easter, and my actual Bday was on Good Friday. The shin dig was the week later.


Anyhow, I do like how this one turned out. It was for her little niece. I did a story in the bilby last Easter, and their plight hasn't improved much. The rabbit is enemy number 1.

The cooler weather has crept in over the weekend, which is good crochet weather.

All the best to those of you coming into Spring! I was getting a bit tired of the sticky heat here so it is nice to be able to sit down under yarn without breaking into a hot sweat.




9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, glad it went well.

Cool Earrings by the way! ; )

Anonymous said...

well its about time!!! lol
i am glad all went well and everyong had a good time. i have been checking everyday for somthing new and finally. i had actually forgotten about the "big" party. i soo understand the thing about the one and only pictures of you and hubby. bilby looks awesome. can't wait to see what else you churn out now that cooler weather is about! spring is slowly coming in around here -and i mean sloooowly!
see ya
kris

LG said...

Happy belated Birthday, dear Cupcake!!! I´m happy you had so much fun!!! Cheers!!!

zippiknits...sometimes said...

What a beautiful little animal. And your crocheted one is very sweet and perfect.

Happy belated Birthday. :)

Archie and Melissa said...

Happy Birthday!
:) Melissa

Casa Oficio said...

Hello,
Incluimos você em nossa listagem de blogs, pois adoramos visitá-la.
Kisses!!!

Kiki said...

Happy Birthday Cupcake!! Looks like your party was fab!

Wanda Kay said...

Happy Belated Bday. It looks like the party was a smash.

The bilby is adorable, great job as always.

Beti said...

Happy birthday, I love your flowers, they are so beautiful. Nice day